Home > Uncategorized > R2D2 mailbox sighting

R2D2 mailbox sighting

May 8th, 2007

Navy Pier. Chicago, Illinois. 5.8.07. 20:18 CDT.

image

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. May 8th, 2007 at 14:58 | #1

I want one, I want one…good thing stealing one is a federal offense.

2. May 8th, 2007 at 17:36 | #2

Yeah, I would think the fine would be pretty stiff for ripping one of these from its moorings. I know a guy in your neck of the woods with a big diesel truck that could probably do it in gear, at idle.

Seriously though, now that you’re an upstanding homeowner probably with a garage, you could always check this site out and build a replica yourself – you could even put a cheap digital projector in the thing to play Leah’s message on a wall.

3. Brian S
    May 9th, 2007 at 14:19 | #3

There’s one on Delmar in the U-City Loop, between the Tivoli and Blueberry Hill.  When you’re in town for the Morressy show you can check it out !!

4. May 10th, 2007 at 07:51 | #4

*grin* I won’t deny, wouldn’t be hard to tie a couple of ropes and gun it But, sadly, I prefer to be free and working, rather than in jail Still, a replica is worth considering!

5. May 10th, 2007 at 09:56 | #5

Gun it? With that thing I would thing just taking your foot off the brake would be enough to dislodge it.

The replica sounds cool to me too – building one could be fun. I’d definitely have to put the projector in though.

6. May 10th, 2007 at 10:21 | #6

*grin* Well, gunning it wouldn’t necessarily be needed, not with the torque the thing has, but keep in mind, rubber only has so much friction, so you’d need to gun it just to get the kinetic energy to pull it away without destroying the tires.  *grin* Depends too on how hard it’s bolted to the ground, etc.  And, of course, you don’t want to destroy the beauty of it either, so you gotta be careful

Sadly though, no time/energy for building anything at the moment.  I’ve got a few wood working projects in mind that I’m tossing back and forth, but nothing definite yet.  SO, eventually perhaps I’ll do something like that replica, but not anytime soon 🙁

7. May 10th, 2007 at 11:03 | #7

I was just reading in the latest C&D about the Mercedes-Benz E320 Bluetec diesel – it has 400 lb/ft of torque, and they drove it from NYC to Ann Arbor, MI on a tank of gas. It would have gone 850 miles on one tank if they would have had a lighter foot. That is very cool. 850 miles on one tank! Brilliant. And it’s only a grand more than the gas version. I’d say that’s a no brainer, at least if you don’t live in CA, NY, VT or a few other states that won’t allow it to be sold (until next year).

The theocratic right on many an occasion likes to bash the French for just about everything (even though they aren’t brainwashed by religion in politics, don’t have fat children, are much greener and weren’t stupid enough to start a war on false pretenses), but the French have the last laugh as they are actually completely off foreign oil. They (like most of the other EU countries) have a 45 mpg auto standard, almost completely due to the number of diesel cars motoring about.

If the R2 replica seems a bit involved, you could always build a Death Star subwoofer.

8. May 10th, 2007 at 11:36 | #8

*grin* Sadly, I doubt I could get near that kinda mileage with my truck I’m getting typically 18mpg at the moment.  Considering though it’s a 7000lb vehicle, and that I’d STILL get 18mpg towing 5000+ lbs, well, I can live with 18mpg The trick is, I don’t often worry about gas mileage since it’s a very short drive to work.  And, when I’m going long distance, i.e. grandmothers, then I need the truck, and so 18mpg isn’t bad at all.

Hrmm, Death Star Subwoofer…. *ponder* That’s doable, although I’m curious as to how it would sound.  Now, what about a speakers and such?  Get a full star wars theater room going!

9. May 10th, 2007 at 11:54 | #9

That kind of mileage in a truck that big is nothing to sneeze at – when I’m at the track in the MINI I struggle to get that kind of mileage. I did get almost 40 mpg on the way up to Wisconsin last week though.

I don’t know about the DS subwoofer either – it looks as though the enclosure isn’t spherical on the inside, which is good. I’ve never heard a spherical sub that sounded all that great – but there is quite a bit that can be done with parametric equalization though.

It’s certainly cool, but I think I’d just buy a Velodyne – or a REL, if music was the goal.

1. No trackbacks yet.